Friday, January 21, 2011

Object of My Affection: Mercury Glass

I simply adore the look of mercury glass. 

thedesignfile.net


Mercury glass is also known as "silvered glass" and contains neither mercury nor silver. It's actually clear glass, mold-blown into double-walled shapes and coated on the inside with a silvering formula, which is inserted though a small hole that is then sealed with a plug (per Marthstewart.com)

I think it has a fantastic vintage appeal and works as a neutral for decorating with versatility! 



Some of my favorite items:

Soft light paired with the warm glow of the glass makes for incredible mood lighting...in the form of pendant lights or candles.  I think the pendant lights would make a great addition to a powder room or breakfast bar.  The candles will work just about anywhere...in any season!  







PotteryBarn.com
Other asscessories include everything from tiles to door knobs and accent tables...  

Evadesigns.com












I am eyeing these Crate and Barrel accent tables for one of my next decorating projects. 
Now let's see some mercury glass inspiration spaces...  

CountryLiving.com













...Did I mention I love these items paired with antique looking mirrors?










I am fairly certain that if I ever have the opportunity to completely renovate my kitchen, these cabinets would make their way in somehow.   The tile backsplash in the photo below is glass and the mercury glass accents atop the counters really set off the chic glow of the entire room.

KraftMaid Stock Photo

Elledecor.com










Loving how the accents work in this room...








So tell me - do you have any mercury glass items?  Have you used it all to decorate? 

No comments:

Post a Comment