Thursday, July 7, 2011

Trend Search: The Maxi Dress

If you have opened any magazines lately, you've noticed the overwhelming surge of maxi dresses making appearances.   Completely smitten with the look, I attempted to find a maxi dress of my own... who knew so many versions would be hideous on the body???

I tried on multiple designs...everything from DvF and Theory to Eighty Six at Lord & Taylor and even some teeni-bopper-ish styles from Guess.  WTF???  Each one was worse than the last... either too frumpy with WAY too much fabric or too long and lean (on a less than long and lean frame!)

Finally, Tracy Reese's line Plenty proved me victorious.  Ladies - the maxi dress is a tough find but oh so worth it when you find "the one."  The bust, waist, fabric, and hem detail all work together in this style for me.

unknown.jpg
From bloomingdales.com
Here's what to look for....
  • The dress must hit/gather you at your narrowest point, which for me is slightly under the bust.  Other waist lines such as dropped or empire were not flattering for me.  Perhaps a natural waist is best on you... 
  • The dress must actually fit.  Let's be realistic - how many of you will go out in public in a dress that doesn't allow for a bra, but has that bohemian loose-fit on top?  Sure, the idea and look is fantastic...on a runway or in a magazine.  
  • The dress pattern must not be overwhelming.  I ordered a bright and summery Rachel Pally number and the blue starfish were my thigh's worst nightmare.

Bottom line: this is not an easy trend to pull off flatteringly.  Make the time investment to try on a few styles, and remember not all trends have to work for your body or personal style! 

No comments:

Post a Comment